Skip to main content

Swing Sets

When I was a little girl, and it was recess I would run straight for the swing set. Teina, Josi, Dallin, and I would hurry our butts out to get the swings that we knew could go the highest.

Then we would swing.

We would jump off (sometimes get in trouble)

and continue to swing.

It became a place of peace for me. I never needed to worry about anything else other than pumping my legs, holding on, and letting go at the right time.

I remember having major conversations on those swing sets, I remember tears, loneliness, happiness, and friendship.

Lately, when I close my eyes I'm right back on that swing set, enjoying every moment of recess.

Why is it that when we grow up we naturally leave the things that brought us peace and comfort as children? Why do we feel like we need something more in order to "properly" take care of our selves?

Something so simple would bring such peace, and now in a time in my life where peace seems to be the last thing I can find, today I found a little old swing set. As if meant just for me. I sat on the swing, moved around a bit, tried to force Alibi to swing with me.. he was not having it.

Then I began to pump my legs.

I can't go as long these days, as I get dizzy a little easier, and not to mention everything is more tender.

But for a brief moment, there was not a care in the world other than that swing set.

It brought me right back to being 10. A smile crept across my face and a wash of peace came over me. So here are my thoughts for the past little bit.

Life sometimes feels unjustly unfair. Sometimes it gets a little too much to handle, and even more so sometimes we hit a breaking point. This may be the hardest thing you've had to go through yet. In those moments when all we want to do is cry, hurt, and feel sorry for ourselves..

Validate Your Emotions


It's okay to feel what you are feeling.

I didn't have someone around me while I was growing up telling me that my feelings were okay. I was told to keep them to myself if they weren't a big enough deal. I was told to deal with them. I was told everything under the sun, but I was never given permission to feel. Now as an adult, I'm reminding myself that I have permission to feel. That this life is all about those feelings.

That things are hard enough right now, so if I also make it harder on myself emotionally it may be too much for my little body to carry around.


Take Healing Breaths


I got so angry when people told me to "breathe" through things.. until I realized I hold my breath. In all areas of life.
When I'm about to do a flip, or go for a hard move in climbing, my breath if being held... yes I know.. this is NOT the way to do it.

Breathing helps oxygen flow through your brain releasing the hormones it needs to properly balance itself. Breathing helps blood flow to all your major organs giving them the breath they need. It also slows your heart rate and calms anxiety.

Taking big, deep slow mindful breaths focuses your body and soul into a common goal, staying alive.

I make sure each day to take healing breaths. From 5 minutes of just sitting there and focusing on nothing other than my breathing.

You can get through a lot of things in this life if you just remember you need to breathe.

Cut Yourself Some Slack 


It's so easy to get caught up into where you think you should be. I know I have. Then when life throws a wrench in my plans it's hard to see the bigger picture and to keep my cool. In fact it really makes me feel like I'm behind the curve, and somehow failing at just basic things.

Then I remember all the other things I've gone through and have been working on, and I remember that I am too hard on myself. So let me tell you this, "You are too hard on yourself too"

We so quickly give others the love that we want that we forget to give ourselves the same love. Remember that the path you are on right now where ever it's heading (no matter how scary) the timing is and will always be perfect... so in these moments, justify those feelings, cut yourself some slack and take those big deep healing breaths.



I'm trying to remind myself that each and every day. By no means am I perfect at it... but it's something I know I can work on.



A photo I snagged of Nana in Costa Rica. 
I just love the way her hair looks! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your "Thoughts and Prayers" Are Bullshit.

Yes. I said it. I also thoroughly agree with that statement. Here's why. As I've been going through pretty huge and life-changing medical problems, my family has been physically nowhere near me. Granted my intestine decided to swell up in Saskatoon, which isn't convenient for anyone. It's given me so much time to think, in some scary and painful moments. Let me preface this by saying I'm not a religious person,  However from what I know, God, helped those in need, he didn't just pray for the sick,  he visited them, and he served them. Let's imagine that when that blind guy came to he Jesus, Jesus said, "You're in my thoughts and prayers" and then left. That story would have turned out very differently. We all do and say things in our lives almost out of habit. Like think of how many times you've said "Hey how are you?" and not actually listened for the answer. Lots, I know. I do this ALL the time, and I'm working incr

Summing it Up Through Songs

As always I like to sum up the year, month by month.. however that post comes the first day of January. Look for it.  Today, I will sum up the biggest part of my 2013 year through music lyrics of songs that I feel have touched me, inspired me, or reminded me.  Enjoy.  I heard the doctor, but what did he say, I knew I was fine about this time yesterday.- Ben Rector, When a Heart Breaks.  If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone, Carry on. - FUN, Carry On. It's time to defy gravity- Wicked, Defying Gravity  It's the way you do the things you do that make me fall in love with you- Rocket to the Moon, Dakota  It's okay not to be okay, sometimes it's hard to follow your heart. Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising, just be true to who you are- Jessie J, Who you are. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, what doesn't kill you makes you a fighter- Kelly Clarkson, Stronger You can't carry i

To the Moment When I Thought I was Dying

"This might be it." "Breathe." "I know it hurts, but breathe Shay. You need to breathe." For a moment I start to forget how important oxygen is, it’s like my body stops caring about breathing, it hurts too much, and it’s way too much work for the little o2 that’s coming to me. My body starts to comfort itself, things are going tingly, dark, and I’m getting cold. I can feel the laboring slowing down. The pain increases again, my eyes start to close, and my feet are completely numb. I feel a cold tear drip down the side of my face as my world slips into darkness.   "No."   "Wake up."   "This isn’t it for you." "You aren’t going like this."   I force another painful breath in.   "Ouch."   I could go on, and in more detail, however for the sake of my very terrified brain, that's the only piece you'll get from my journal. That came the second night I was